Inkscape: Move Objects
You learned in Lesson 1 that you can use the Selector tool to move objects. You can also use other methods. For example, the Up, Down, Left, and Right arrow keys move objects up, down, left, and right respectively, by the number of pixels specified in your Inkscape Preferences. The default is two pixels. To nudge an object, hold down the Alt key while you press an arrow key. The object will move one screen pixel at a time — a screen pixel is a pixel, but it is a smaller unit when zoomed in than when zoomed out. I have created the following video to demonstrate the ways you can move objects.
Use the Tool Controls Bar to Move an Object
- Select the objects you want to move.
- Type where you want to place the left edge of the bounding box in the X field which is located on the Tool Controls bar. Inkscape changes the location.
- Type where you want to place the bottom edge of the bounding box in the Y field which is located on the Tool Controls bar. Inkscape changes the location.
Use the Transform Dialog Box to Move an Object
- Use the Selector tool to select the object or path you want to move.
- Click Object > Transform or Press Shift + Ctrl + M. The Transform dialog box opens.
- Choose the Move tab.
- Press the down-arrow next to the unit of measure field and then select a unit of measure.
- Check the Relative Move box.
- Enter the amount you want to move the objects horizontally in the Horizontal field. Positive numbers will move the objects right. Negative numbers will move the objects left.
- Enter the amount you want to move the object vertically in the Vertical field. Positive numbers will move the objects up. Negative numbers will move the objects down.
- Click Apply. Inkscape moves the objects.
Change Your Moving Preferences
- Click Edit > Preferences or press Shift + Ctrl + P. The Preferences dialog box opens.
- In the box on the left, expand the Behavior section.
- Click Steps.
- Select a unit of measure in the Arrow Keys Move By field. Inkscape changes your unit of measure.
- Enter an amount in the Arrow Keys Move By field. Inkscape changes your arrow key preference.
- Close the Inkscape Preferences dialog box.